you are what you eat
This is a hearty curry flavoured burger, filled with vegetables, peanut butter and coriander! It makes a delicious mid week meal!
You will need:
Whole wheat bread or small whole wheat burger buns
Low fat Mayonnaise
Baby Lettuce leaves
For the Chickpea Patty:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 baby marrrows, grated
1 large carrot, grated
2 slices stale whole wheat bread
400g or 1 tin chickpeas,, drained and rinsed
3tsp mild curry paste (you can use the usual one you would use for a curry)
1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter
3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
For the salsa (this makes just enough for one meal):
1 whole tomato, seeded and diced
5cm cucumber, diced
1/4 cup fresh corn kernels
1/4 yellow pepper, diced
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 large avocado, diced (optional)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup coriander, chopped
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
Himalayan pink salt and pepper, to taste
Method for the Chickpea patty:
– Heat oil in a pan, add the onion and cook, stirring till soft. Add the carrot and baby marrow. stir well over medium heat and add garlic. Stir until the vegetables are just wilted. Remove from heat.
– Process chickpeas, bread and spices in the food processor until combined. Add the chickpea mixture to the vegetables. Add Peanutb utter, egg and coriander.
– You will get 10 -12 small patties from the mixture. Form into balls and flatten onto just as you would a burger patty.
– I have coated mine in a mixture of Panko break crumbs and Sesame seeds. You can coat them or leave them just as is.
– Grill on low heat on the stove in a non stick pan with a tablespoon oil. Extra Patties can be frozen and used when needed. They are delicious filled in a pita bread with the salsa or salad.
For the salsa:
– Place all the chopped ingredients in a bowl. Add the lime juice and paprika. Stir and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To assemble the burger:
– Lightly toast your bread. Spread with a mixture of pesto and mayonnaise. Layer with baby lettuce then the chickpea patty. Top with salsa and serve!