you are what you eat
I recently bought a packet of steel rolled oats from my grocer, with the hopes of doing some baking! My girls love little containers of fruit, nuts, popcorn and even the odd breakfast bar when we are out at the zoo or museum. So I thought, it would be great to try making my own bars, with all the ingredients they love!
For these maple and chocolate oat squares you will need:
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups raw oats
1/2cup brown sugar
2t powdered cinnamon
1t bicarbonate of soda
3 T boiling water
1/4cup maple syrup
3 T honey
1/2 cup coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (I used sliced almonds and walnuts)
1/2 cup cranberries
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
– Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Line two baking trays with non- stick baking paper.
– Mix the flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and coconut in a large bowl.
– Melt the butter together with the maple syrup and honey in a pan on the stove. Remove from the heat and mix in the bicarbonate of soda and boiling water.
– Mix the butter mixture together with the dry ingredients. I did this using a spatula, it’s really easy and quick!
– Spread the mixture in the pans. Patting it down to make sure it is evenly spread.
– Bake in a pre heated oven for 20- 25minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the center and comes out clean.
– Let the squares cool before cutting. The squares will stay well in an airtight container for ten days.